Monday, April 27, 2009

Sleep Transitions

You are probably wondering how Amelia has been doing since my Crabby Abby post. I have intentionally avoided it in the last two post, because it is... a long answer. Here goes: In Cedar Rapids Amelia didn't nap super great (which we somewhat expected), but our hotel stay was a nightmare. First of all, we didn't arrive to our hotel until like 1:30 a.m. (our fault), but until then Amelia was sleeping very comfortably in her car seat. Then we tried to put her in her pack n' play... Let's make an unnecessarily long story short and say-- that didn't go well. We finally got to sleep at about 4 and I got up with Amelia at 7 a.m. and then she came to the bed with us for a little longer. Note: we do not condone 'the family bed' as it is coined, but desperate times... well, you know.

Sunday night Andrew and I were exhausted. Not only from our trip, but from the last 8 days of no one sleeping well. So Monday I did something that I don't know I've ever done... I asked for help. Yes, you heard it here: I have a pride issue and think that I can do everything, and if I can't then I should be able to still do it. I called my Mom and slipped in the conversation somewhere about how if she wanted to come here that would be okay with us. Ha ha, I'm so sly. I think I shocked her and she rearranged her schedule to come (Thanks, Mom!). In the meantime, I let Amelia sleep in her car seat for all naps and even nights because when I put her in her crib; 1) she cried inconsolably. 2) She kept trying to stand up and has a billion pictures with bruises on her head to prove it. Oh, and I called Pediatrics to ask a nurse if I needed to bring Amelia in because of all her fussiness, not always eating well, not sleeping well, etc. She told me I could run a vaporizer in her room and elevate the mattress. I am laughing even now because a flat mattress was taking it's toll on my poor baby's head. I didn't think I should make it even more of an obstacle course for her so I kindly gave it longer (one more whole day).

Tuesday, I made Amelia an appointement to see her doctor. I was sure she had an ear infection and was teething. She only seemed to wail when I'd lay her flat, even during diaper changes (a lot of fun). She had also began tugging on her right ear with a vengence. And to make the story even sweeter while I was out Monday night, I picked up a Dr. Mom Otoscope (to try to detect an ear infection myself). Start laughing now. Have you tried to look in a baby's ears? What was I thinking?! Well, all 3 of us took a turn looking at ears (ours and Amelia's) to try to see what we were looking for. They give you pictues to help with the otoscope, but I'm pretty sure you really need years of practice (and maybe a wax flush). Sorry, back to Tuesday. Grandma Toni and I went to the Pediatrics department with 'the social butterfly.' She LOVES people, especially children. Going to the doctor is like Disneyland for her. The appointment was semi-helpful. She had no ear infection (That's $75 for non existent ear infection copays and counting), but Dr. Halbur did say it's probably just a cold that drains to the back of her head when she lies down and to let her continue to sleep in the car seat until she felt better. I think her advice was also largely due to the 3 bruises on Amelia's head.


Starting Thursday afternoon sometime, Amelia didn't fuss for me when I'd put her in her car seat. Signs that she was feeling better. I am sure she was teething on top of it all, but her gums are now less swollen also. A great relief, but a new issue to deal with too. We waited till Saturday night and then took away the car seat... We already knew how this was going to go, so before Andrew put Amelia to bed I left the house. I used to be super awesome at listening to Amelia cry, especially when I knew she was just tired and that she would fall asleep after a little while. And now, all of the sudden I've gone soft. He called me after 45 minutes of being out and about (which was kind of nice really) and said that she finally fell asleep. He told me he'd gone in every 15 minutes and wiped the snot off her face and calmed her down. He really is a good Dad. I was shocked and relieved it had worked and honestly I was thinking I might have to be gone for like 2 hours. When I asked how he did it he said, "Well, Mario Kart helped."

We're still working on perfection. For instance, it has taken one hour each time I try to lie her down to finally get her to sleep. Oh, and for those of you who are worried about her head (which I am too), after an unbelievable goose egg from her crib last night, she is sleeping in her pack n' play until further notice (it's soft).


Just to explain how large of a difference this has been in our lives I'll tell you a little about how bedtime used to go for our babywise baby. Here are actual instructions I used to leave with our baby-sitter:

"Amelia will lie down approximately one hour and a half after she has last eaten for the night generally... (info not important for blog).... She usually does not fuss but just lies in her crib and either talks or plays with her angel until she goes to sleep.
Hopefully this is how it will go for you:
*Change into a fresh diaper and sleeper. We will try to do this right before we leave so you won't have to worry about it... (more unimportant for blog info)... I generally do this change about 20 minutes or so before I lay her down and then either read or play or cuddle with her until it is time to go to bed.

*Turn lights off (lamp at your discretion)

*Lie baby down with binky (prefers green) and angel. Squeeze angel and it should start talking.

*Walk out of room
. Normally she knows that this is bedtime and doesn't really mind and doesn't usually cry. If she cries longer than 5-10 minutes (whichever you can stand), you can go back and try the fussy steps."

He's coming tomorrow... do you think I should write new instructions??! I still have yet to figure that dilemma out, but we'll get it. For now, at least Amelia can sleep stretched out once again and is feeling better. A very important final note: Amelia can now stand. Yes, last Wednesday I saw her do it and was so shocked! And the kicker, Grandma Toni said, "She was doing that last night while you were gone. I thought you already knew..." It really is an exciting thing, but since our darling can stand now it makes all this bedtime stuff even harder. Thanks to both of our Moms for their advice in how to deal with a standing baby and bedtime! Hopefully soon we'll be closer to normal.

1 comment:

The Grout Family said...

all i can say is WOW! happy to hear she doesn't have an ear infection! you guys have gone through so much this past couple weeks! i hope things start going better soon! if amelia needs a buddy to come and make her a happy baby, just let me know! i'm sure strummer would love to see 'his baby love' hee-hee-hee:o)